• August 7, 2021

‘I’m still getting used to the smell’: A New Jersey family faces up to $3,000 in medical bills

A man in New Jersey who lost control of his electric appliances after a fire has been charged $3.2 million after he had a heart attack while driving in February 2013, according to a settlement with the city of New Brunswick.

Bob Schiller, 71, of Newark, New Jersey, died in the fire.

His wife, Joan, died three months later from complications from the attack, according.

In the settlement, the city agreed to pay a total of $3 million.

Schiller, who was working in the electric department at his house when the fire broke out, was a father of three and a retired schoolteacher, according a statement from the city.

He had worked in electrical engineering for nearly 30 years.

The New Brunswick Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire was started at the Schiller home on March 18, 2013.

Firefighters and a fire truck arrived in time to save the couple’s life, according the city’s statement.

A fire crew found the couple on a back porch and a neighbor reported that he smelled a strong odor of gasoline and saw smoke coming from the home, the statement said.

The couple was taken to the hospital, where they later died, according city officials.